海蔻通 > 杂谈 > 正文

​Look down on: 轻视; 小看-学习地道美语口语

2025-01-17 19:10 来源:海蔻通 点击:

Look down on: 轻视; 小看-学习地道美语口语

人物: Paul, Matthew, Jessica

场景:Matthew辞职了,Paul和女朋友分手了,各有各的难处,最后Jessica的消息让Matthew又回到了公司,而Paul也和女朋友合好了……

Paul: Hi Matthew, how's it going?

嗨,马修,最近好吗?

Matthew: Hi Paul.

嗨,保罗。

Paul: I called you up yesterday, but I couldn't get through to you. Are you okay?

我昨天给你打过电话,但打不通。你没事吧?

Call sb up: 给某人打电话

Get through: 接通电话

Matthew: Yes, I am, sorry for not calling you back, I've been very busy looking for a new job.

没事,很抱歉没有给你回电话,我一直在忙着找新工作。

Call back: 给……回电话

Paul: Really? But what happened?

真的吗?怎么了?

Matthew: I quit my job last week, I didn't get on with my boss very well, and I ran out of patience, He used to have me do my projects over many times. I just couldn't put up with all the hard work. That job was stressing me out, it was simply taking up all my time. I had to drink lots of coffee to make it through the day. I used to work during the weekends too, and I would stay up many nights to finish my projects… and hand them in on time. I ended up feeling so exhausted every day. My boss used to check up on me all the time. When he saw me nodding off at work one day, he had a go at me, telling me off in front of everyone. Luckily I had some great colleagues that stood up for me. it was so good to know that I could always count on them. Anyway, I couldn't carry on like that. I felt like… being a slave. I wanted to get away. I kept thinking about it for a very long time. I spent days turning the problem over in my mind. It was not easy for me to just give up my job. I will keep myself away from that company from now on, so I started looking for another job.

我上星期辞职了,我和老板相处得不太好,我也没耐心了,他常常会让我反复工作。我就是受不了这么辛苦的工作,那份工作让我很紧张,简直占用了我所有的时间,为了熬过一天,我不得不喝很多咖啡。我过去也经常在周末工作,我会熬夜完成我的项目…并及时上交。最后,我每天都觉得很累。我的老板过去一直在检查我,有一天他看见我在工作时打瞌睡,就冲我发火,当着大家的面训斥我。幸运的是,我有一些优秀的同事支持我,很高兴我可以一直依靠他们。无论如何我不能这样继续下去,我感觉……像个奴隶,我想逃离。我想了很久,我花了好几天的时间把这个问题重新考虑,对我来说放弃工作并不容易。从现在起我将远离那家公司,所以我开始寻找另一份工作。

Quit job: 辞职

Get on with sb: 与……相处

Run out of: 用完,用光,耗尽

Do over: 重做,重复

Put up with: 忍受,容忍。

Stress sb out: 使某人心力交瘁

Take up: 占据,占有;继续; 把…接着进行下去;

Make through: 使……通过,使……度过

Stay up: 不睡觉,熬夜

End up:结束,终结

Check up on: (私下)调查,检查

Nod off: (尤指不打算睡觉时)打瞌睡,打盹儿

Tell off: 斥责; 训斥; 训诫;

Stand up for: 支持; 捍卫; 坚决维护;

Count on: 期望; 预计; 指望; 依靠; 依赖;

Carry on: 继续; 接着; 坚持; 举行; 进行; 开展; 喋喋不休; 絮絮叨叨;

Turn over想当于Think over: 仔细思考

Give up: 放弃; 戒除; 认输; 辞去(工作); 让出; 自首; 投案;

Keep away from: 避开,远离

Paul: (Cell phone is ringing) Hold on a moment, I have to pick this up.

等一下,我得接个电话。

Matthew: No problem, go ahead…

没问题,接吧。

Paul: Okay, let's take up where we left off. So… you're looking for another job.

好吧,让我们继续我们刚才说的。所以…你在找另一份工作。

Leave off: 停止,中断(做某事)

Matthew: Yes, I'm now ready to start over somewhere else.

是的,我现在准备从别的地方开始。

Start over: 从头开始,重新再来

Paul: Maybe you should first try to relax and wind down for a few days.

也许你应该先放松一下,放松几天。

Wind down: 摇下(车窗等); 放松; 松弛; 逐渐减小(工作规模); 使逐步停止; 使逐渐关闭;

Matthew: You're right, I really need a break. But enough about me, tell me about you, how are you getting on with your work?

你说得对,我真的需要休息一下。我说的够多了,告诉我你的情况,你的工作进展如何?

Paul: Everything is fine.

我都挺好。

Matthew: But you look worried, is there something going on with you and Sarah maybe?

但你看起来有点忧愁,该不会你和莎拉有什么事吧?

Paul: Well, the problem is that we broke up, so I'm feeling a bit down at the moment.

我们分手了,所以我现在有点沮丧。

Break up: (使) 分裂; (被) 拆分; (使) 破碎; (恋人) 分手; (夫妻) 结束关系; (婚姻关系) 破裂; 结束(婚姻关系); 散(会); (使) 解散; (学校或学生) 放假; (因信号受到干扰) 声音断断续续;

Feel down: 感到沮丧; 情绪消沉;

Matthew: I'm really sorry you're going through this, but what happened?

我真的很抱歉你经历了这些,但是发生了什么事?

Paul: I didn't show up to our date, because something came up. I had just found out that I had to attend a business meeting… and I didn't get to call off the date. She thought I made it all up… and that I, actually fell for somebody else. She said I had let her down. It's so hard for me to get over this.

约会的时候我没来,因为有点急事,我要参加一个商务会议…但我没能取消约会,她以为是我撒谎,以为我喜欢上了别人。她说我让她失望了,让这一切过去,对我来说好难。

Show up: 如约赶到; 出现; 露面;

Make up: ; 编造,虚构(故事、借口等)

Matthew: You should talk it over and sort things out. sorry for bringing up this subject if you're not comfortable talking about it.

你们应该好好谈谈,把事情解决。很抱歉,这个话题让你难过了。

Talk over: 详细探讨; 坦诚交谈;

Bring up: 谈及,提及

Sort out: 把…分类; 整理; 解决(问题); 理清(细节); 教训; 规劝; 惩处; 恢复正常; 理清头绪; 镇定下来;

Paul: It's okay, I have to go now, it was nice talking to you, call me when you have time.

没关系,我得走了,很高兴和你谈话,有空就打电话给我。

Matthew: Okay, have a nice day.

好的,祝你今天愉快。

Jessica: Matthew, I'm so glad I’ve run into you!

马修,我很高兴见到你!

Run into: 偶遇,碰到

Paul: Hi, Jessica!

嗨,杰西卡!

Jessica: Did you hear about the boss? He was forced to step down from his post. We are going to have a new manager next week. I actually met him last year, he respects people and never looks down on anyone, he will take over the responsibility of the company, everyone says he will bring about a big change in the company.

你听说老板的事了吗?他被迫辞职了,我们下周将有一位新经理。我去年跟他接触过,他尊重人,从不看不起任何人,他会接管公司,大家都说他会给公司带来很大的变化。

Step down: 辞职,下台,让位

Look down on: 蔑视; 轻视; 小看;

Take over: 接收,接管

Bring about: 导致,引起

Matthew: really? I didn't know that.

真的吗?我没听说过。

Jessica: You can apply again for the job if you like. The company will take on new employees over the next two months.

如果你愿意的话,你可以再次申请这份工作。公司将在接下来的两个月里雇佣新员工。

Apply for: 申请

Take on: 雇用,录用

Matthew: Okay, thanks for the good news, but I have to think about this.

好的,谢谢你的好消息,但我得考虑一下。

Jessica: We used to be such a great team, you always came up with wonderful ideas and Solutions! When nobody knew the answer, you would figure out what to do right Away! You know that many colleagues look up to you.

我们曾经是一个很棒的团队,你总是想出很棒的主意和解决方案!当没有人知道答案的时候,你会立刻想办法做什么!你知道很多同事都很尊敬你。

Come up with: 想出,提出(计划、想法等)

Figure out: 想出; 理解; 弄清;

Look up to sb: 尊敬,敬仰某人

Matthew: You really cheered me up. We were a great team, indeed.

你真的让我好开心,我们的确是一支很棒的团队。

Cheer up: (使)高兴起来; (使)振作起来;

Matthew: Hi, Paul, what's up… you look very happy today.

嗨,保罗,你还好吧?……你今天看起来很高兴。

Paul: Hi, Matthew. well, I finally made up with Sarah. So I am very happy.

嗨,马修,我终于和莎拉和好了,所以我很高兴。

Make up with: 与……和解(好)

Matthew: That's such great news.

真是个好消息。

Paul: Not only did we get back together, but I proposed to her and she said yes. So we're going to get married soon.

我们不仅重归于好,而且我向她求婚,她答应了,所以我们很快就要结婚了。

Get back together: 重归于好

Matthew: That's wonderful! I'm so happy for you.

太好了!我真为你高兴。

Paul: So how about you? have you found a new job yet?

那你呢?你找到新工作了吗?

Matthew: guess what. I was hired back, and I have a new boss, we get along very well, he is a

nice person.

猜猜看,我被雇回来了,我有一个新老板,我们相处得很好,他是一个好人。

Get along: 与……相处和睦

Paul: I'm so glad things have finally worked out for you!

很高兴事情终于解决了!

Work out: 想出,得到(解决方法)

Matthew: Yes, everything turned out fine.

是的,一切都变好了。

Turn out: (以某种方式) 发生; 最后是; 结果是;